FULL SERVICE INTERIOR DESIGN FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
With offices in Berlin and Houston how do you split your time?
- Jamie heads up the Berlin office while Katie runs the Houston office. Jamie travels to Houston often for major meetings, to check on construction, and for installations there, same as every other out of town project JHD designs. Jamie handles the design aspects remotely from the Berlin office, keeping in close communication with Katie and our trusted contractors via Skype, Hangouts, text, email, and phone calls. Katie is amazing at keeping projects organized, everything communicated to the clients and contractors in a timely manner and bringing samples to review with client's in person if in Houston or a surrounding city. For projects outside of Houston or Berlin Jamie and Katie both travel as needed to visit the site and remain in constant communication via methods listed above. Today's connected world makes it easier than ever to design spaces around the globe.
Do you have a minimum project size?
- We do have a minimum of 20 hours required for each decorating project. 20 hours is enough to get firm furniture floor-plans laid out and detailed budgets nailed down. After that clients can work from that plan on their own or continue on with Jamie House Design to do selections, colors, purchasing, installation, and accessorizing. We're proud to say we haven't had anyone decide not to continue the process but we're happy to get a project only that far along if that's what is needed from us. This process does not apply to new builds or remodels that are being designed when JHD is brought into the process.
Will you estimate in advance the cost of items for my room?
- We can give you a broad estimate of furnishing an entire room after talking with you and learning more about your home. For example sofas can range from $1200- $10,000 depending on tastes and requirements so JHD does not assume any of that before committing to a design relationship. Jamie House Design always begins designing without a budget so our creativity isn't limited. From there we value engineer everything to meet your budget while still retaining the thoughtful creative designs we're known for.
How does Jamie House Design handle purchasing?
- We prepare proposals for each item with all of the costs associated minus delivery/ freight. Every proposal is available for 24 hour access via the JHD Client Portal. Once a proposal is approved JHD orders and coordinates each detail involved, updating you on timelines and coordinating installation. We do ask that after we've gone through initial ideas with you that all shopping for the home ceases as spontaneous purchases can change the design direction resulting in additional time and fees.
I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to hiring a designer, can you reassure me?
- Jamie House Design works smartly to provide our clients with top service, thoughtful design, and a high value for their money. That said, full service interior design isn't for everyone. That's why we now offer House Delivered, a room by room design done by Jamie that you implement yourself. Click here for more details if that sounds up your alley.
What is your refund policy?
- The nature of design dictates that most items are custom designed for you and your space and therefore unable to be returned.
Can I work room by room or do you only design entire homes?
- Absolutely we can work room by room with you. We'll start with prioritizing spaces with you and work from that plan to complete your home focusing one space at a time.
How do you determine which charities you donate to each month?
- Right now I select the charities that speak to my heart and have a good rating on Charity Watch. There are so many worthy issues it can be hard to select. I certainly welcome suggestions for charities that are important to you.